Mason's values and commitments are defined by our resolve to be an innovative, diverse, entrepreneurial, and accessible public research university.
We Set High Goals
As a young and rapidly growing university, Mason relies on visionary and inclusive action.
Beginning with the strategic plan in 2012, the Mason community came together to define our commitments, which are grounded in our motto, "Freedom and Learning."
Our mission is to be “an innovative and inclusive academic community committed to creating a more just, free, and prosperous world.”
Mason maintains its "Carnegie R1" classification, which means we're one of the highest performing research universities in the nation, and one of the youngest universities in this elite group.
Our commitments of diversity, innovation, well-being, and learning extend not just to the students but also to our faculty. Learn about where we came from, where we are today, and how we prepare for the future.
A Dynamic Campus
News moves fast at Mason. Utilize these resources to stay updated and informed about campus events, critical incidents, and more.
- About Mason
- News at Mason (general campus news)
- Today@Mason (featured events and trainings)
- Mason Alerts Emergency Notification System
- Mason Ready (emergency situation preparation resource)
- Social Media at Mason (includes LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, and more)
We Are Growing
Mason IDEA Provides Guiding Principles
- Innovative: We question current thinking and try new ideas. We honor time-tested academic principles while striving to create new forms of education that serve our students better and new paths of research that can uncover solutions to the world’s greatest challenges.
- Diverse: We bring together a multitude of people and ideas in everything we do. Our culture of inclusion, multidisciplinary approach, and global perspective make us more effective educators and scholars.
- Entrepreneurial: We put ideas into action. We educate students to create, as well as carry out jobs; to become agents of positive change; and to add value through government or business, for-profit or nonprofit organizations, academia or the arts. We pursue discoveries that can make a difference in the world. We help our community thrive socially, economically, environmentally, and culturally.
- Accessible: We are an open and welcoming community. We partner with public and private organizations in our region and around the world. We proactively engage with our community. We define our success by how many talented students we serve, not by how many we leave out.